I don’t really have a reason why August has been my worst month for consistent blogging in quite some time, but I am the queen of making excuses, so I’m sure I can come up with a few for you. (If you don’t believe me, just ask my husband.)
1. I tend to get the bulk of my writing done over the weekend, and lately those just haven’t been the best times for it. For instance, in the last four weeks, two of them were spent driving the 6 hours to and then back from Georgia. When you’re getting in late on Friday evening and leaving after brunch on Sunday, you want to spend every single other moment with family and friends. So we do!
2. This whole “building a house” thing is way more of an ordeal than I imagined it would be. I know how silly that sounds; of course, it’s a huge thing. But I guess I didn’t realize how much it would dig into my everyday routine. With everything from orientations to schedule and granite slabs to inspect, it’s been quite a ride. Also, I can’t help it that every other evening is spent poring over Pinterest for just the right paint color for x, y, or z room.
3. I’ve been reading… a ton! Some rereads, some work-related, some new pleasure reads. Either way, I refuse to apologize for getting a few extra books off of my “to read” pile.
4. There’s this step challenge going on at work, and I might be a lot more competitive than I realized. No, I’m not racking up an amazing number of steps, but when it’s between sitting on the couch to write a blog post and walking around Glenwood Gardens for some late night steps… Well, you know which one I’ve been choosing. Plus coworker pressure might just be more effective than peer pressure. 😉
And finally, 5. I have finally gotten a taste of that blogger burnout that so many people have experienced. I don’t know if I was wearing myself out with all the rebranding or if I’m simply trying to write too many posts every month, but it kicked my butt this month. For that reason, I’m seriously going to start reconsidering my goals…
Recap: August Goals
– Finish creating pinnable images for old blog posts: I have a theory for the burnout. Instead of just blogging, I’ve been too concerning with being a “blogger.” Therefore, I’m putting this goal to bed for a while. We’ll revisit the whole “pinnable images” thing at some point.
– Finish the media kit: I am going to finish this one instead of putting it on hold, but it’s definitely getting reworked.
– Read a few books on social media
So now that we got the (mostly) disappointment out of the way, let’s look at what I want to accomplish next month…
– Rework the media kit to better reflect my blog’s focus
– Rethink my editorial calendar for the rest of the year
– Blog what I want to instead of what I feel like I should!
Have you ever experienced blogger burnout? What are some ways that you remedy it?